Re: Fwd: [uos-convene] Essential or Not

To: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:29:53 -0500
Hey John...    (01)

Excellent points.    (02)

John F. Sowa wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Just two points:
>
> 1. Immaturity is a relative term.  You can have technology that
>    is sufficiently mature to be useful even though it is far
>    from what we'd like to have in the long run.  As scientists,
>    we have to take a long-term view.  As engineers, we have to
>    solve the problems we face today.    (03)

Agreed.    (04)

> So we just implemented a trivial translator to Prolog and/or CL.
> It's lightning fast, it works, and it doesn't fail.  For output,
> we export to anything anybody asks for.    (05)

Wonderful! I don't need to tell you that *all* large systems work (and
will work) that way.  It's going to be the functionality at the API/UI
that counts, and nobody will give a damn whether there are gerbils on
habitrails running the thing inside.    (06)

Standards are useful but are no panacea.  I was working on a project
where I was shown a XML model in which the developers proudly proclaimed
that they used ISO 3166 as their standard data element for the "country
of birth" XML element.  I looked at 3166 and came back to them "So, I
suppose nobody you're interested in was (or could have been) born in
Czechoslovakia, because it doesn't appear in 3166".    (07)

> Bottom line:  Give the customers what they ask for, but don't
> let them dictate what tools you use.    (08)

Everybody listen to John.    (09)

Bill Andersen
Chief Scientist
Ontology Works, Inc. (http://www.ontologyworks.com)