RE: [uos-convene] Essential or Not

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:17:29 -0500
Mike,    (01)

I think you mean XML for syntactic interoperability, no?     (02)

And actually, I think most of these are answerable and very positively:    (03)

1) We don't yet have one grand upper ontology?
ANSWER: we don't need one. We have adequate upper ontologies (not
great). AND we understand that it's valuable to map together/identify
an intersection. This is our current undertaking with with UOS.
2) None of the existing upper ontologies are adequate.
ANSWER: probably ALL are adequate (not great).
3) The information technology community (substitute "the ontology
community", "the Semantic Web community", the "commercial and
governmental community", as you see fit or as applies) does not believe
upper ontologies will help in addressing semantic interoperability.
ANSWER: IT community: doesn't know. Commercial community: maybe.
Governmental community: yes!
4) The <same communities as above: pick one> don't believe semantic
interoperability is a problem.
ANSWER: IT community: kind of knows. Commercial community: maybe but
why share? Governmental community: yes!
5) We don't yet know enough about how to map domain ontologies to upper
ontologies (substitute middle to upper ontologies, if you desire).
ANSWER: we do, we clearly do.
6) Others? What are they?    (04)

Leo
Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (05)