Re: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:45:24 -0500
SECONDED.    (01)

The statement Matthew is objecting to is another example of the hype
I see every day surrounding ontologies and their use.  The
fundamental flaw in this paragraph is that it does not distinguish
between specification and implementation and can be shown trivially
to be false.    (02)

Plus, we may not like these traditional systems but we'd better learn
to live with them because they're not going anywhere for a while.
Nobody's going to go out and replace their finely-tuned terabyte
databases with anyone's main-memory theorem prover any time soon :-D    (03)

On Mar 4, 2006, at 06:43 , West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321 wrote:    (04)

> Dear Ray,
>
> The first "conclusion in brief" is:
>
> "(1) We agree that the technology of modeling and representing
> knowledge has developed to the point where it is feasible to
> create knowledge-based reasoning systems with information
> analysis and exploitation capabilities significantly more
> advanced than traditional systems based on relational databases
> and object-oriented programming without semantic interpretation."
>
> Well I don't agree.
>
> Ontology can help improve the design of systems using traditional
> technology, and I can see Knowledge Based Applications adding
> significant value to those traditionally developed systems. I can
> also see some genuinely "the web as a database" type applications.
> However, I think it is inappropriate to compare in this way
> traditional systems (that are largely transaction processing
> based) and Knowledge Based Systems. They are complementary not
> competing technologies.
>

> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
> Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
> Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom
>
> Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
> Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.shell.com
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

> Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/uos-convene/