RE: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:15:53 -0500

Bill,
  I'm genuinely puzzled by your comment:

> On Mar 4, 2006, at 09:26 , Cassidy, Patrick J. wrote:
> Mathew,
>    Since the large ontology-based applications that will be useful for
> major problems are likely to use relational databases (or their
> equivalent) as their back-end, what is the problem with saying that
> the capabilities of such systems are more advanced than the
> capabilities of database systems alone?

[BA] Because it's hype that has not been substantiated by experience.
Hype is bad.  If we're not careful we're going over-hype all of this
and create ourselves another "AI winter".

Isn't that what Ontology Works's system does - add to the capabilities of database systems alone?  How do you characterize the advantage that your programs have over traditional databases?  What does your advertising say?

Or to put it another way - is this "hype"?? (emphasis added)

OWI database products – The Knowledge Server™ (KS™ ) and the High-Performance Knowledge Server™ (HPKS™ ) – represent the most advanced and mature products of their kind. The KS™ is the first product to execute ontologies in a transactional database environment; the HPKS™ scales that technology to manage terabytes of information. The HPKS™ leverages Objectivity/DB™ – an advanced database that eliminates costly JOIN tables – to deliver for the first time scalable information storage and query performance to a high-fidelity information model environment. The HPKS™ solves the most demanding analytic information management problems by design, supporting applications that until now were impossible to realize with traditional relational database systems. These servers provide the essential capabilities to make possible complex applications, among these capabilities is fact-level security and support for “what if” analysis.

Guess where that came from.  (I think those statements may be correct)

Pat

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way