RE: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:26:40 -0500
Mathew,
   Since the large ontology-based applications that will be useful for
major problems are likely to use relational databases (or their
equivalent) as their back-end, what is the problem with saying that the
capabilities of such systems are more advanced than the capabilities of
database systems alone?  They are indeed not "competing" but they are
also not "complementary"; the larger ontology-based systems will build
on and extend the database systems.    (01)

 Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way