Re: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:28:10 -0500
Pat...    (01)

Not being flip here...    (02)

(1) relational database systems *are* reasoning systems just as much
as anything.    (03)

(2) IMHO, ontology in the information systems context is not about
*reasoning* but about *organization*.  Subtle but important
difference.  Deductive reasoning techniques are an enabler but take a
back seat to organization because there are lots of reasoning tasks
deductive systems don't do.  Here's it's useful to think of the world
as a big video game and "the true ontology" (if there is one) as its
data model.  The "AI" of the video game is the "reasoning".  Now, in
practical application all kind of other effects (e.g. epistemic)
creep in and those may need to be dealt with using other reasoning
techniques.  Some may call the whole package "ontology" but I prefer
the more constrained interpretation – it frames the problem better.    (04)

(3) Properly done, ontology makes your pet store database better.
That application probably involves neither analysis nor exploitation,
except perhaps of parakeets.    (05)

I'm trying to think of something I'd like to see but I have to leave
now for a trip.  I promise to work on it.    (06)

        .bill    (07)

On Mar 5, 2006, at 10:01 , Cassidy, Patrick J. wrote:    (08)

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Chief Scientist
Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)
3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 600