Re: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:10:21 -0500

On Mar 5, 2006, at 17:06 , Obrst, Leo J. wrote:    (01)

> Oh, come on, Bill. Since when are relational databases reasoning
> systems?  Since programming was invented, i.e., a program represents
> some programmer's thoughts about the data and what he/she means about
> that data? So programs that use databases are reasoning systems?
> Because programs encapsulate human reasoning?    (02)

Simple existence proof:    (03)

[1]
(forall (?x ?y) (=> (or (brother ?x ?y) (sister ?x ?y)) (sibling ?x ?
y)))    (04)

[2]
create view sibling as
SELECT *
FROM brother
UNION
SELECT *
FROM sister    (05)

Which piece of syntax, under evaluation, is "logical"?  Which is
reasoning?    (06)

I have no doubt that some sufficiently clever programmer could embed
a tableau or resolution prover into a complete RDB.  The connections
between databases and theorem proving are well elucidated in:
"Principles of Database & Knowledge-Base Systems Vol. 1 & II", by
Jeff Ullmann.    (07)

> This is silly, sorry.
>
> If ontology is about organization, you should be very happy with OWL,
> since as a description logic (also called terminological logic,
> classification logic), it is focused on classification and nearly
> nothing else. Deductive reasoning doesn't really even figure until you
> add SWRL.    (08)

OWL is precisely a deductive system, so it's a candidate for the
organizational task.  There are many other candidates with other
properties, however.    (09)

> I think you need to re-evaluate your rhetoric about this stuff! ;)
> (Hey, I'm am undergoing rhetorical revamping myself; I need company!).    (010)

Well, perhaps, but it gets people thinking....  :-D    (011)

        .bill    (012)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (013)