RE: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:28:35 -0500
My take on the question:    (01)

Every computer program performs reasoning of some form; any "if-then"
is reasoning, broadly construed.  The problem of creating a precise
definition for "reasoning" is similar to the problem of creating a
definition for "agent".  There is a gradation of complexity, and for
the purpose of useful categorization (or even discussion) one has to
choose a cutoff point which may appear somewhat arbitrary.  So one
tries to use terms in the most common sense.  A "reasoning system"
should designate a computer system that performs reasoning beyond the
typical reasoning performed by procedural code, as its *distinctive*
characteristic.  That means that if the system does not generate
implied inferences from information, it cannot perform its primary
function.   That definition would exclude RDBSs, as they can store and
retrieve data just fine without any attached declarative rules.  More
specific than that, a "knowledge-based reasoning system", would be a
systems that uses declarative knowledge according to explicit rules
that are *also* in declarative form, i.e. the reasoning rules are
themselves part of the knowledge base. This excludes neural-net type
reasoning and reasoning which is primarily embedded in procedural code,
as well as database systems that can as an optional feature perform
reasoning with data input transformations, views, triggers, other
attached procedures, or SQL statements.    (02)

The point of using ontologies for me is not that it does something that
is *impossible* to do some other way but that it provides a way to
specify knowledge that is more easily communicable to other systems,
more easily comprehended by people, and more easily maintainable.
Perhaps this is the difference between "essential" and "most
cost-effective", as we debated recently.  The numerical advantage of
ontologies over alternative ways of achieving reasoning over
declarative knowledge may make an interesting and perhaps significant
academic study, but at the moment the preponderance of opinion seems to
be that they do have substantial benefits beyond what other paradigms
provide.  If one really wants to pursue this line of discussion, I
would suggest that one first try creating a definition that describes
what ontology-based systems do that other systems don't usually do (not
"can't do") outside their procedural code.      (03)

If you don't think that any of this can be "proven", recall that the
joint communique is a position statement that expresses the beliefs of
the panelists.  Projections of anticipated relative effectiveness can
only be proven by multiple examples over time.    (04)

If anyone thinks that clarifications or caveats are required for
statements in the Joint Communique, please formulate your concerns and
put them in the Extended remarks.  If you think that one of the
statements is factually incorrect according to any normal
interpretation of the words, then the statement may need modification.    (05)

Of course, suggestions for modifications or additions to the joint
communique are always in order, especially from the panelists.    (06)

Pat     (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way