RE: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:17:56 -0500
Matthew,    (01)

I pretty much buy the description of automated reasoning at:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/reasoning-automated/.    (02)

Although the author focuses on FOL-based reasoning, I would also
included description logic reasoning.     (03)

Generally, I would exclude expert systems, which I would say
approximate logical inference using the Rete algorithm (and which acted
as a step in the evolution of AI prior to more of an adoption of
logical methods), but are really programs that make partially
declarative some aspects of imperative programming. I've written about
the deficiencies of of expert systems before, so I will not go into it
here.     (04)

By the way, I view the rise of ontological engineering and the use of
formal logic for representation and reasoning as greatly improving
those defiencies.    (05)

I know that in reason years, databases have added active and passive
triggers, which a specialized rules, and the rise of constraint
databases. I include Datalog as a knowledge representation language,
and hence able to be automatically reasoned on much like full Prolog.     (06)

I also don't exclude inductive or abductive reasoning (though the
latter is unsound from the normal deductive perspective), nor
probabilistic reasoning ala Judea Pearl, Renee Dechter, et al.     (07)

Thanks,
Leo    (08)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (09)