Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:49:43 +0100
Pat,    (01)

As your comment " better, it is a relationship between the object and a
temperature. It is, however, not the property which we commonly call 'the
temperature of the object'." indicates, the kind of relationship is
different.    (02)

One 'understanding' issue is that properties such a simple temperature are
seen as direct (to use Matthew's term) properties of the object, that can be
measured directly.
However, if one considers these indirect properties, then they are not
measured in the same way. So, at first blush, they seem to be different
kinds of properties.
They seem to be like Cambridge properties, in as much as it is not clear how
mere examination of the object will reveal (the value of) the property. So
some kind of explanation of the relation is needed to understand it.     (03)

At the practical engineering level, the normal interpretations of scale
operations such as addition (e.g. in the case of mass, putting both objects
with the mass on the same scale) and so on do not seem to work in the same
way.     (04)

(and hence) At a practical programming level, one has to use different
constraints when adding and multiplying the numbers.     (05)

I really do not want to engage in any discussion of this next point with you
(can we have a truce), but in my discussions of these kinds of properties
with people who procure aircraft (max operational speed, etc.) the contract
clauses they devise to define these properties are extremely good examples
of the kinds of ceteris paribus discussions that come up in the philosophic
analysis of dispositions. So my view (and I know it won't be yours) is that
we can cherry pick some stuff to help elucidate (understand) these
'dispositional' qualities. And so understand how we aggregate, etc. them.    (06)

Of course, if no-one wishes to know what kind of arithmetical (scale)
properties the quantities have (or that they have consistent arithmetical
properties) then you are right to say "I see no problem here that needs
anything special to be done or discussed." However, this was the context in
which Matthew raised the issue.    (07)

BTW It was Matthew who not only raised this point here, but also first made
me aware of it some time ago. As an engineer, he can quote you chapter and
verse on this topic. As I recall it, David (Leal) - another engineer - can
as well.    (08)

Regards,
Chris Partridge
Chief Ontologist    (09)

Mobile:     +44 790 5167263
Phone:      +44 20 81331891
Fax:            +44 20 7855 0268
E-Mail:       partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (010)

BORO Centre Limited
Website:                                     www.BOROCentre.com
Registered in England No:   04418581
Registered Office:                  25 Hart Street, Henley on Thames,
Oxfordshire RG9 2AR    (011)

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person. You should contact BORO Centre
Limited as shown above so that we can take appropriate action at no cost to
yourself. All BORO Centre Limited outgoing E-mails are checked using Anti
Virus software.    (012)