Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:51:27 -0400
Matthew West wrote:
> Dear Ingvar,
>
> This sounds like an interesting challenge.
>
>> I am as aware of the contents of VIM as of the SI brochure, and
>> your
>> "n.b." makes exactly my point. What you might call "newton-meter as
>> a unit
>> alone", I prefer to call "nominal newton-meter". However, note that
>> only
>> some units can be called nominal units and tied to more than one
>> kind-of-quantity; many units are unambiguously tied only to one
>> kind-of-quantity.
>
> Could you give me a unit (or two) that you think only applies to one
> kind-of-quantity, and I'll see if I can identify another?
>
> Engineering is full of things like Maximum Allowable Working
> Temperature, which is certainly not a temperature (try measuring it with
> a thermometer).    (01)

Why is maximum allowable temperature not a temperature? Just because
it isn't realized? It is a temperature specification. It is a quantity
even if it doesn't exist anywhere at any particular moment in time.    (02)

But of course that is another issue and I still agree that a maximum
allowable temperature of this machine can not be well compared with
the water temperature of my pool -- but then they can if the machine
is meant to go into my pool (which I don't have)    (03)

-Gunther    (04)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics