Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:54:12 -0400
Chris Partridge wrote:
> They seem to be like Cambridge properties, in as much as it is not clear how
> mere examination of the object will reveal (the value of) the property. So
> some kind of explanation of the relation is needed to understand it.
>
> At the practical engineering level, the normal interpretations of scale
> operations such as addition (e.g. in the case of mass, putting both objects
> with the mass on the same scale) and so on do not seem to work in the same
> way.     (01)

This only works for extensive properties. It fails with temperature
already. So that aspect does not seem to make a difference between
maximum allowable temperature and actual temperature.     (02)

To me "maximum allowable temperature" is the upper bound of the
"operating temperature" interval, which in turn is a criterion over
the actual temperature property. The way we handle such things in
HL7 is like this:    (03)

"Maximum temperature = 40 degree Celsius" is     (04)

Observation (criterion)
  of quantity /core temperature/
  at time /any time/
  has value [15;40] degree Celsius    (05)

"Actual temperature 25 degree Celsius" is     (06)

Observation (actual)
  of quantity /core temperature/
  at time 2009-09-30T15:05
  has value [24.5;25.5] degree Celsius    (07)

"Actual temperature 43 degree Celsius" is     (08)

Observation (actual)
  of quantity /core temperatue/
  at time 2009-09-30T15:15
  has value [42.5;43.5] degree Celsius    (09)

Comparison between a criterion and an actual quantity is done by
comparing whether the actual quantity is included in the criterion.
That way one can also define other criteria, such as     (010)

"Alarm temperature at > 35 degree Celsius"    (011)

Observation (criterion)
  of quantity /core temperature/
  at time /any time/
  has value [35;-) degree Celsius    (012)

The difference between the 2 criteria is how they are related to
other information. For example, operating temperature would be
related to the operation act that the machine performs whereas
alarm temperature would be related to the alarm action:    (013)

Act "to operate properly"
  isPerformedBy Machine
  hasThroughCondition Observation (criterion) for "operating temperature range"    (014)

Act "to raise alarm"
  isPerformedBy TemperatureMonitor
  hasSubject Machine
  hasTriggerCondition Observation (criterion) for "alarm temperature"    (015)

so a lot of these notions of "indirect properties" is in my view
best modeled by additional structures. But nevertheless one can
always define a property as a primitive to stand for such a complex
model. E.g.,    (016)

"Maximum operating temperature of Machine X" :=
  the high boundary of
    the range value of
      the Observation (criterion)
        of quantity /core temperature/
        which is the throughCondition of
          the act of operating properly
            performed by
              the Machine X.    (017)

If we avoid such "indirect properties" with such models, there are
then fewer true "direct properties" left, such as /core temperature/.
However, you still have multiple temperatures, such as     (018)

 - core temperature
 - surface temperature
   - measured by holding a thermometer close to the shell
   - measured by an attached thermometer (using heat transfer creme)    (019)

and lo and behold, we can't really compare the core temperature and
the surface temperature to find out if the machine is still operating.
But we can compare the surface temperatures with core temperatures
to find out that the surface temperatures are always closer to the
ambient temperature than the core temperature.    (020)

regards,
-Gunther    (021)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics