Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:50:05 -0500
Chris, before proceeding, could you please tell us what you mean by a
'direct' property, and why you feel that this direct/indirect
distinction is relevant to our main goal here of formalizing an
ontology of quantities and units.    (01)

Pat Hayes    (02)

On Sep 30, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Chris Partridge wrote:    (03)

> Gunther,
>
> Your examples seem to agree with my point that indirect properties are
> different from direct ones.
> And I see you cash out the indirect property as a state (the option
> I noted
> in my original email).
>
> In your example, as far as I can ascertain, you describe observing a
> direct
> temperature, but you stipulate an indirect temperature - e.g. the
> "Maximum
> operating temperature of Machine X" rather than observing or
> measuring it.
> My guess is that there is more than mere stipulation involved here.
> One of things your example does not capture is what operating properly
> entails.    (04)

Well, indeed. But surely this notion of proper operation is not part
of an ontology of units and quantities, even if that is understood to
cover issues of how quantities are measured.    (05)

One can play this game of 'you havn't captured X' for ever.
Eventually, it will always become circular.    (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)