Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:42:39 -0500

On Sep 29, 2009, at 4:18 PM, Chris Partridge wrote:    (01)

> Gunther,
>
> Maximum allowable temperature is a disposition of the object.
> The object may reach never reach that temperature, or may reach it,
> even
> exceed it, but that does not have much, in itself, to do with the
> property.
>
> The property is something like: other things being equal, if you
> stay below
> this temperature the object (more often, a type of object) will
> operate as
> specified - if you go above it then it may not.
>
> (Allowable is probably not the best example, as one could try and
> cash this
> out by saying that one is defining two states that the object can be
> in -
> below (or equal) to the maximum and above the maximum. But that
> would ignore
> the intention that staying within the 'allowable' range should
> provide some
> guarantee of normal operation.)
>
> So, the object has (or does not have) this property whatever its
> actual
> temperature.    (02)

OK, but this does not contradict anything anyone has said. It is a
property of the object, and its value is a temperature (better, it is
a relationship between the object and a temperature.) It is, however,
not the property which we commonly call 'the temperature of the
object'. I see no problem here that needs anything special to be done
or discussed.    (03)

Pat H.    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)