Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:23:07 -0400
Martin S. Weber wrote:
>> But multiplying 1 N.m with 1 m / m gets you 1 N.m and how do you carry
>> whatever distinction you like to preserve in the unit through the
>> computation?
>
> Obviously, by looking at the quantities involved.     (01)

Yes, the Quantities, not the Units.    (02)

> Imagine you take a Nm and make a torque out of it by multiplying with m/m.
> That gives a different quantity.    (03)

Yes, the Quantities. But 1 Nm * m/m is still 1 Nm.    (04)

> This information has to be preserved /
> presented.     (05)

Yes, but in the Quantities, not the Units.    (06)

> Honestly, I lost overview of whether the majority of UoM-involved people now
> think that quantities should not be accounted for (which, imo, is bad) or
> should.     (07)

This shows that the list of test cases on the Wiki will be
tremendously useful so we can at least know where everyone
stands.    (08)

> And of course the examples easily fall back to involving dimensionless
> units. Of course because that's where the quantity makes the difference.     (09)

You can add other test cases.     (010)

> Which, due to SI/VIM has the final say on whether two things are comparable
> [without further thought] or not. Which is something that UoM instance data
> should be able to provide. Which is ... turning in circles.    (011)

The VIM speaks about Quantities and measurement and a little
bit about Units. The SI speaks a lot about Units. I don't think
that either one argues that Units contain the detail of the
Quantities. And if this group here is to make a Units of Measure
ontology, then it would be limited to Units, not the detail
of all Quantities.    (012)

regards,
-Gunther    (013)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics