Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:16:54 -0400
Joe Collins wrote:
> Unless you only are referring to things like joule, which is not a coherent
> derived unit.
>
> Perhaps the use of the bare term "unit" is sloppy.
> Let me suggest SICDU, SIBU, SIDU, and NSIU as abbreviations for SI coherent
> derived unit, SI base unit, SI derived unit (not coherent), and non-SI unit.
>
> I believe that the principal units of our concern should be coherent derived
> units, of which SIBU is a subset.    (01)

There is nothing special about "coherence" with units. I never
understood the big deal. A gram and a liter is just fine. There
is no problem at all that makes "coherence" in any way easier.
Our computers have no trouble carrying along a little real
factor.    (02)

regards,
-Gunther    (03)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this message and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and are intended solely for the use of the named
addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have
been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality
protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State
laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information
without the specific written consent of the person to whom the
information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A
general authorization for the release of medical or other information
is not sufficient for this purpose. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the
original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.    (05)