Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:36:58 +0100
Dear Ingvar,    (01)

This sounds like an interesting challenge.    (02)

> I am as aware of the contents of VIM as of the SI brochure, and
> your
> "n.b." makes exactly my point. What you might call "newton-meter as
> a unit
> alone", I prefer to call "nominal newton-meter". However, note that
> only
> some units can be called nominal units and tied to more than one
> kind-of-quantity; many units are unambiguously tied only to one
> kind-of-quantity.    (03)

Could you give me a unit (or two) that you think only applies to one
kind-of-quantity, and I'll see if I can identify another?    (04)

Engineering is full of things like Maximum Allowable Working
Temperature, which is certainly not a temperature (try measuring it with
a thermometer).    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
England and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)