Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "uom-ontology-std" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "ingvar_johansson" <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:22:55 +0200 (CEST)
Dear Joe,    (01)

Jump to the end of the mail; there is my responsse.    (02)

> [...]
>  > Here comes the only passage where the SI brochure mentions 'torque'
> (pp.
>  > 119-20):
>  >
>  > "In practice, with certain quantities, preference is given to the use
> of
>  > certain special unit names, or combinations of unit names, to
> facilitate
>  > the distinction between different quantities having the same dimension.
>  > When using this freedom, one may recall the process by which the
> quantity
>  > is defined. For example, the quantity torque may be thought of as the
>  > cross product of force and distance, suggesting the unit newton metre,
> or
>  > it may be thought of as energy per angle, suggesting the unit joule per
>  > radian."
>  >
>  > Ingvar
>
> Excerpted from my copy of ISO/DIS 80000-1, "Quantities and units"
> -----------snip---------
> 3.2
> kind of quantity
> aspect common to mutually comparable quantities
>
> NOTES
>
> 1 — The division of the concept ‘quantity’ into several kinds is to some
> extent
> arbitrary.
> EXAMPLES
> a) The quantities diameter, circumference, and wavelength are generally
> considered to be quantities of the same kind, namely, of the kind of
> quantity
> called length.
> b) The quantities heat, kinetic energy, and potential energy, are
> generally
> considered to be quantities of the same kind, namely, of the kind of
> quantity
> called energy.
>
> 2 — Quantities of the same kind within a given system of quantities have
> the
> same quantity dimension. However, quantities of the same dimension are not
> necessarily of the same kind.
> EXAMPLE
> The quantities moment of force and energy are, by convention, not regarded
> as
> being of the same kind, although they have the same dimension. Similarly
> for
> heat capacity and entropy, as well as for number of entities, relative
> permeability, and mass fraction.
>
> 3 — In English, the terms for quantities in the left half of the table in
> 1.1,
> Note 1, are often used for the corresponding 'kinds of quantity'. In
> French, the
> term “nature” is only used in expressions such as “grandeurs de même
> nature” (in
> English, “quantities of the same kind”).

> torque being "moment of force"
>

> n.b. - Units alone are not sufficient for determining "comparable

I am as aware of the contents of VIM as of the SI brochure, and your
"n.b." makes exactly my point. What you might call "newton-meter as a unit
alone", I prefer to call "nominal newton-meter". However, note that only
some units can be called nominal units and tied to more than one
kind-of-quantity; many units are unambiguously tied only to one
kind-of-quantity.    (04)

Ingvar    (05)