Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository"(maybe "OntologyRegistry"

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <oor-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:46:40 -0800
Denise:    (01)

Thank you!  Amen!  I also come form the world of enterprise architecture and
both the words registry and repository have very specific semantics.
Farrukh has also worked with or on many of the standards in this area and
knows the wealth of problems that arise with reg-rep use.  These include
synchronization, federation, FOL (RIM in ebXML-speak), taxonomy support,
authority/administrative declarations, versioning and much more.    (02)

IMO - "A" is ambiguous and misleading.  If "B" is not acceptable either,
let's at least use an existing definition as the base and make a clear
distinction between registry and repository.    (03)

Duane    (04)

On 2/6/08 10:39 AM, "dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (05)

> Peter,
>
> If you adopt definition (A), this inclusiveness will have to be remembered --
> think it is not inherent in the use of the term repository.   Some people
> coming
> to this discussion in future from the data management or enterprise
> architecture
> perspective may assume something from the use of the term repository (content
> storage, specifically).   The issues will be clarified and designs will evolve
> as the conversation continues.
>
> Best regards,
> Denise

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html