Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository" (maybe "OntologyRegistry"

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:45:03 -0500
Duane,    (01)

I agree that a repository should be a virtual location that is
independent of the physical locations.    (02)

 > Newcomers to registry-repository sometimes think in terms of
 > a single place to store things.  In reality, this would be
 > architecturally inelegant and it does not scale well and
 > presents a potential single point of failure for any
 > infrastructure relying on that mechanism.    (03)

I certainly agree.  But even people who have used computers for
years are often clueless about how and where their data is stored
and managed.  (And MSFT tries as hard as possible to make them
even more clueless.)    (04)

The solution is to provide a tutorial for newbies, not to clutter
up the formal definitions with extraneous detail.    (05)