Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository" (maybe "OntologyRegistry"

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:30:34 -0800
Understood.  One of the reasons why I don't like A is that it implies a
constraint whereby all things have to be in one single location, rather than
the industry view which is that things may persist in multiple locations and
the registry is the mechanism which provides the centralized view.
Newcomers to registry-repository sometimes think in terms of a single place
to store things.  In reality, this would be architecturally inelegant and it
does not scale well and presents a potential single point of failure for any
infrastructure relying on that mechanism.    (01)

A registry should be separate from a repository so that it may point at
multiple repository items IMO, rather than requiring all of them to be
centrally stored.    (02)

Duane    (03)

On 2/6/08 9:20 AM, "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (04)

> Duane
>
> I jut wanted to clarify to all that we have to imply a mechanism for
> input, "persist" is a stage after you "input" or "ingest" data or
> information in a data-store or repository. The word "Storage" implies
> "input" and "persist" and is only included in option A.
>
> I wish "storage" could still be added to option B.
>
> The word for output, namely "Retrieve" is there in both options.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ravi
>
> (Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect
>
> Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)
>
> 8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
> (o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html