Re: [ontology-summit] OWl and Knowledge reuse via import and modularizat

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 23:17:56 -0500
On 2/5/2014 3:14 PM, Barkmeyer, Edward J wrote:
> Well, if mainstream IT is to be the judge, I am unaware of any Java
> syntax that says "Class A is equivalent to Class B", and similarly,
> I don't know of anything in XML schema declaration that says "element
> (or type) tag A is a synonym for element (or type) tag B".    (01)

Java is a procedural language.    (02)

But people were stating equivalences in their native NLs
long before they invented writing.    (03)

To say that two types or classes A and B are equivalent,
all you have to say is:    (04)

    Every A is a B, and every B is an A.    (05)

Whenever a customer signs a contract for a vendor to build a widget,
there is in that contract or in one of the documents cited by it
an equivalence of the following form:    (06)

    A widget is a whatchamacallit that has the following structure
    and properties: ...    (07)

This states an equivalence between the type or class widget and
the subtype or subclass of whatchamacallit that has the specified
structure and properties.    (08)

I cited Schema.org as an example of how to get mainstream IT
to use ontology:  give them readable labels with clearly written
descriptions in English (or other NLs).  Don't dump a load of
bloated, unreadable notation on them with descriptions in
unreadable jargon.    (09)