Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog Ontology of Ontologies

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:59:16 -0800
Hi Hans -
If you're saying ontologies should be specifying attributes like dc:subject, referencing some controlled SKOS vocabulary(s) of functional domains, and or other provenance information such as dc:coverage, then I'm all for that as a specific item in the communique.

At the same time, I'd love to see folks here at Ontolog develop a small vocabulary of TYPES of ontologies, such as that Sowa suggested, that can be referenced by ontologies inventoried, for instance, in the Ontolog Repository that one of the tracks has responsibility for.

Much agree that any given ontology that hasn't incorporated any rdf:type pointing to an "O3 type" should not be penalized in search results -- I definitely hope the repository permits one to independently annotate any resource (ontology) with any property, including <rdf:type="an O3 type"/>!

The key though is to tap into SMEs' knowledge right here -- the Subject Matter Experts where the 'subject' is "ontologies". Surely there should be willingness to develop an O3 among these experts!!!!

/jmc