Re: [ontology-summit] OWl and Knowledge reuse via import and modularizat

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 20:14:53 +0000
John Sowa wrote:    (01)

> Every logic for specifying any ontology from Aristotle to the present can
> specify equivalences of that kind.  The issues about finding, importing,
> relating, and combining the modules are critical.
>
> Many people and committees are addressing those issues -- including the
> OOR and OntoIOP groups.  But they are intimately related to work that has
> been done for years in the database community, the knowledge base
> community, the programming language community, and mainstream IT.
>
> Any solution that addresses *only* communities with names that begin with
> the letter O will be *ignored* by mainstream IT.    (02)

Well, if mainstream IT is to be the judge, I am unaware of any Java syntax that
says "Class A is equivalent to Class B", and similarly, I don't know of
anything in XML schema declaration that says "element (or type) tag A is a
synonym for element (or type) tag B".  I can talk about having the same type
and being substitutable, but not about equivalence.  Similarly, UML has no
concept of 'synonym'.  So, maybe only communities whose names begin with 'O'
have any chance of after-the-fact reuse?  How do you do what Andrea did to
incorporate a Location library in a Java program after-the-fact?  What symbols
in your Java program match the ones in the imported library Interface?
Similarly, what tags in your XML Schema will match those in an imported 'XML
Schema component library' just by reassignment of the XMLns?  "Mainstream IT"
as we know it simply DID NOT ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM.  We "O" communities are
trying to do something about reuse that they don't UNDERSTAND.      (03)

Mainstream IT is like any other technology.  Over time the technology is
improved to beget new capabilities.  The new technologies that beget new
capabilities REPLACE the older ones, or relegate them to their limited roles.
The "O" communities are developing a new technology, and we don't really need
to be concerned about what the Java programmers reject.  The teamsters could
say "get a horse" until they lost their jobs to lorry drivers.  Sic transit
gloria mundi.    (04)

-Ed    (05)

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Systems Integration Division

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (07)