Re: [ontology-summit] OWl and Knowledge reuse via import and modularizat

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andrea Westerinen <arwesterinen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 22:33:29 -0500
Gary, I emailed on this topic (importing everything versus modularity) a few weeks ago on another Summit thread (and Leo expanded on it).  Also, I just posted about it on my blog.  Here is the text:

[My previous post talked ...] about creating small, focused "modules" of cohesive semantic content.  And, since these modules have to be small, they can't (and shouldn't) completely define everything that might be referenced.  Some concepts will be under-specified.

So, how we tie the modules together in an application?

In a recent project, I used the equivalentClass OWL semantic to do this. For example, in a Person ontology, I defined the Person concept with its relevant properties.  When it came to the Person's Location - that was just an under-specified (i.e., empty) Location class.  I then found a Location ontology, developed by another group, and opted to use that.  Lastly, I defined an "integrating" ontology that imported the Person and Location ontologies, and specified an equivalence between the relevant concepts.  So, PersonNamespace:Location was defined as an equivalentClass to LocationNamespace:Location. Obviously, the application covered up all this for the users, and my triple store (with reasoner) handled the rest.

This approach left me with a lot of flexibility for reuse and ontology evolution, and didn't force imports except in my "integrating" ontology.  And, a different application could bring in its own definition of Location and create its own "integrating" ontology.

But, what happens if you can't find a Location ontology that does everything that you need?  You can still integrate/reuse other work, perhaps defined in your integrating ontology as subclasses of the (under-specified) PersonNamespace:Location concept.

This approach also works well when developing and reusing ontologies across groups.  Different groups may use different names for the same semantic, may need to expand on some concept, or want to incorporate different semantics.  If you have a monolithic ontology, these differences will be impossible to overcome.  But, if you can say things like  "my concept X is equivalent to your concept Y" or "my concept X is a kind of your Y with some additional restrictions" - that is very valuable.  Now you get reuse instead of redefinition.

Andrea