Re: [ontology-summit] OWl and Knowledge reuse via import and modularizat

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:41:12 +0000

Andrea Westerinen wrote:

> In a recent project, I used the equivalentClass OWL semantic to do this. For example, in a Person ontology, I defined the Person concept with its relevant properties.  When it came to the Person's Location - that was just an under-specified (i.e., empty) Location class.  I then found a Location ontology, developed by another group, and opted to use that.  Lastly, I defined an "integrating" ontology that imported the Person and Location ontologies, and specified an equivalence between the relevant concepts.  So, PersonNamespace:Location was defined as an equivalentClass to LocationNamespace:Location. Obviously, the application covered up all this for the users, and my triple store (with reasoner) handled the rest.

In my view, this is exactly the kind of thing OWL:equivalentClasses was intended to enable, and it is absolutely necessary to this kind of reuse.

-Ed

--

Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx

Systems Integration Division

100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263             Work:   +1 301-975-3528

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263             Mobile: +1 240-672-5800