Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:14:51 -0800
Ed,
You have connote and denote backwards. To 'connote' is to indicate things *associated with* (per the Latin con) -- in this case, applicable to members (parts) of the extension. To 'denote' is to identify a thing specifically -- in this case, applicable to the concept itself, i.e., the extension taken as a whole.

Also, to label SBVR's 'term' definition a 'mis-definition' is odd, because it is an OED definition. I put more faith in OED definitions than apparently domain-specific definitions such as you describe.

/jmc