Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:34:25 -0800
Ed,
We may end up agreeing to disagree on this, but to me the English is abundantly clear, even in the tertiary M/W definition you cite: connation is referring to each within a plurality of things ('group of properties'), and denotation is referring to a singular thing ('the totality'). Their Latin roots indicate such too: con (with) and de (from, of) modifying note (word). Thus a name of a class denotes its extension, and connotes the members of that extension. Maybe another look at your earlier note in this light would be useful.

I'll look at the second topic later -- there's much about SBVR I need to absorb -- because reference vs denotation sounds fundamentally the basis for the claim that (paraphrasing from memory here) LOD doesn't distinguish between individuals and classes ...??? If not true, I wouldn't want that to end up in a communique and if true, it certainly SHOULD be in a communique, no?