Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 16:40:14 -0500
On 2/2/14 10:11 AM, Mike Bennett wrote:
> The problem with using owl:sameAs is that you have immediately changed
> the nature of your model: from a model of concepts to a model of
> words. That is, from an ontology to a vocabulary.    (01)

Hmm..    (02)

When you put Linked Data in the mix its about terms rather than words
i.e., terms being words that have the duality of denotation and
reference baked in. Thus, you can use owl:sameAs to express coreference
in ABox oriented statements about entities.    (03)

For TBox or RBox oriented descriptive statements (for entity types and
relation types, respectively) you have owl:equivalentClass and
owl:equivalentProperty, respectively.    (04)

> As long as it's clear which one of those you are doing, that's fine.
> But I find an ontology of concepts to be far more useful than a
> vocabulary of words.    (05)

Horse for courses :-)    (06)

> The only place I would use owl:sameAs is when mapping between
> ontologies that have concepts with the same meanings.    (07)

See comment above.    (08)

Regards,    (010)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO