Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: "Ontology Summit 2014 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 02:01:02 -0500
On Sun, February 2, 2014 09:08, John McClure wrote:
> Hans,
> I heard earlier there's a process for updating the standard -- use it.
> Translators send their translations to the ontology's central authority,
> who add them to distributed files.
>
> And you complain about 1M id's being distributed by a central authority
> -- yet you're okay with 1M id's spread around the planet in files out of
> control of a central authority? That's not sustainable. Whether a
> consumer ingests all language-qualified triples is her choice.
>
> Lastly, the idea of not creating resources (with sameAs triples) for
> each label is, on the face of it, inconsistent with the pride you imply
> from having first class string resources.    (01)

I've been wondering what the point is of generating large numbers of
additional URIs
and associating them with owl:sameAs.  The point now seems to be pride.    (02)

Reasoning with owl:sameAs introduces additional complexity & slows down
reasoning.
I don't thing that pride is worth that.  Surely not pride that you
attribute to others
who see not need for it.    (03)

If the URIs are meant to be human readable, spawning multiple copies will
be quite
confusing, making it take more effort for a human to realize that two
different URIs
are supposed to be the same as each other.  If the URIs are not supposed
to be
looked at by humans, such problems would go away -- but if they are only
supposed
to be machine readable, why create them in the first place?    (04)

I see problems, but no benefits in spawning multiples URIs for the same
concept (be
it class, individual, or relation).  Use owl:sameAs when two groups have
independently
developed concepts that turn out to represent the same thing.  If you are
building
on previous work or working together with someone, use the same terms.    (05)

-- doug f    (06)

> /jmc
>
> On 2/2/2014 5:52 AM, Hans Teijgeler wrote:
>> John,
>> Thanks, I used the SKOS way.
>> Why would the maintainers of the RDL do all the translation work? Who
>> pays for that?
>> You did not make it clearer than what I had. If only a fraction (say
>> 20) of the 546 languages listed in ISO 639
>> (http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php) would be
>> used for these translations of, say, 50,000 concepts, that would be a
>> very costly exerccise.  Besides you would add some one million IDs to
>> the whole.
>> So if I may, using your correction:
>> _At the RDL endpoint _http://posccaesar.org/rdl/page/_:_
>> <dm:ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject rdf:about="RDS6462148">
>>    <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">API 610-BB2 SINGLE STAGE CENTRIFUGAL
>> PUMP</skos:prefLabel>
>> <skos:definitionxml:lang="en">A single or two stage, impeller between
>> bearings, radial split casing, centrifugal pump designed according to
>> the requirements stated in API 610 for code BB2 pumps.</skos:definition>
>> </dm:ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject>
>> _At the French RDL endpoint:_
>> <dm:ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject rdf:about="&rdl;RDS6462148">
>> <skos:altLabel xml:lang="fr">API 610-BB2 ÉTAPE SIMPLE POMPE
>> CENTRIFUGE</skos:altLabel>
>> <skos:definitionxml:lang="fr">Un seul ou deux étapes, la roue entre
>> paliers, carter fendu radial, pompe centrifuge conçu selon les
>> exigences énoncées dans l'API 610 pour le code pompes
>> BB2.</skos:definition>
>> </dm:ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject>
>> _and at the Chinese endpoint:_
>> <dm:ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject rdf:about="&rdl;RDS6462148">
>> <skos:altLabel xml:lang="zh">API610-BB2? ????</skos:altLabel>
>> <skos:definitionxml:lang="zh">? ?,????? ?,? ??? ?API610?BB2??
>> ???????????? ????,? ??</skos:definition>
>> </dm:ClassOfInanimatePhysicalObject>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>> Hans Teijgeler,