Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:57:20 -0000
Dear Doug,
I presume there a missing "not" here before "disappear"?    (01)

> So it seems to me that for RDF users who want to use a web of data, that
> there is a definite advantage in 4D representation -- that of contexts
> that do
> disappear.    (02)

If so I agree, both that you can use either 3D+ T or 4D to handle change
over time, and that 4D has some advantage when forced to use triples, though
ISO 15926, which is 4D, happens to have a quad underlying model with a
triple identifier as the 4th element.    (03)

This was not why we chose 4D. We found that for some difficult problems, 4D
provided a better explanation, and perhaps more important, gave fewer
choices about how something could be modelled, which when you have some tens
of people developing an ontology, helps with managing consistency - fewer
choices means fewer arguments.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (06)