Re: [ontology-summit] OWl and Knowledge reuse via import and modularizat

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:11:02 -0500
Amanda, Andrea, and Ed,    (01)

These are important issues that must be recognized and supported
by the theory, the methodology, and the tools.    (02)

AV
> Point 1: lots of annotation on the placeholders...
>
> Point 2: advantages of modules, as you described are best maintained...    (03)

These are very important issues.  They have been addressed by different
groups in different ways.  Whether you call them theory, methodology,
or tools is irrelevant.  It's essential to address them together.    (04)

AW
> the second point is exactly my "integrating" ontology, which imports
> the target ontologies and does the mapping...    (05)

The term "integrating ontology" is good.  But it's important to note
that this is a *metalevel* ontology.    (06)

AW
> In a recent project, I used the equivalentClass OWL semantic to do this...    (07)

EJB
> In my view, this is exactly the kind of thing OWL:equivalentClasses was
> intended to enable, and it is absolutely necessary to this kind of reuse.    (08)

Every logic for specifying any ontology from Aristotle to the present
can specify equivalences of that kind.  The issues about finding,
importing, relating, and combining the modules are critical.    (09)

Many people and committees are addressing those issues -- including
the OOR and OntoIOP groups.  But they are intimately related to work
that has been done for years in the database community, the knowledge
base community, the programming language community, and mainstream IT.    (010)

Any solution that addresses *only* communities with names that
begin with the letter O will be *ignored* by mainstream IT.    (011)