Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog Ontology of Ontologies

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:52:44 -0500

Andrea,

   Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

   I will extract the main issues for discussion:

[AW] > Please refer to Kingsley's post (http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2014-02/msg00117.html).  It gives a very good explanation.

     For the case of finding all instances of any given equivalent class in two or more ontologies , that would work just fine; this application uses only the ‘instance’ (and perhaps ‘subclass’)relation.  My browser was unable to view the examples referenced in Kingsley’s note, so I can’t see how broadly applicable this tactic is.

[AW] > An upper ontology could be used to help create the mappings, or serve as the mediation point for the mappings.  But, in my experience, the current set of upper ontologies are too generic to be useful in any specific application domain.  And, at the end of the day, you want detailed equivalencies and axiomatic definitions in your integrating ontologies, not relationships to generic concepts.

    Of course, no upper ontology will have all the *domain* concepts one uses in an application, but the point is to use a ‘foundation ontology’ (I prefer that term) that has **all** of the fundamental (‘primitive’) concept representations that are required to logically specify the meanings of  all of the domain concepts in the communicating domain ontologies.   For any given set of ontology-based applications there will necessarily be **some** finite set of primitive concepts that are sufficient to describe all of the concepts.  As new applications need to communicate, it may be necessary to add new primitives, but these should not “break” the earlier applications, since the legacy systems don’t care about (i.e. use)  those new primitives.  As a practical matter, my initial goal is to try to identify all of the primitives that anyone may need, so that a broad range of applications can communicate accurately, and the principle can be thus demonstrated.  It is likely that new primitives will be required over time, but my experience thus far suggest that they will not be so numerous as to make the tactic unworkable.  In any case, it is thus far the *best* hope I have been able to identify for *accurate* automated computer communication of complex concepts among independently developed systems.

[AW] > Also, the intent of an under-specified construct (Location details in my "Person has a Location" example) is not to fully define it - but to leave it open to reuse and clarification by other modules of reusable content (whose "micro-theories" align with the needs of the re-user).

   The foundation ontology should have the capability to specify concepts as broadly or narrowly as one wishes.

[AW]> Is the intent to redefine domain concepts from the ground up, in terms of the COSMO primitive concepts?  That is a huge undertaking.

  Yes, that appears to be necessary for any accurate communication.  This presents a “triage” scenario, once a foundation ontology has been agreed to by multiple groups:

(1)    Those newly building their database or ontology use the foundation ontology – this will actually save time, since a lot of well-defined basic needed concepts will already be available.  (after a few years the majority of applications will be new)

(2)    For legacy applications that need to communicate, where the communication task is important enough to justify the cost, each communicating database or ontology will need to be specified in terms of the foundation ontology

(3)    For legacy systems that can’t bear that cost, they will communicate less effectively with alternatives such as creating equivalence relations and carefully watching test  cases to be sure that doesn’t generate nonsense – or at least, too much nonsense.

[AW] > .   BTW, I am a fan of using the WordNet synsets and relationships to help to elucidate semantics.  But, even WordNet needs extensions to its lexicon to be close to useful in a specific domain

    Yes, specialized domains will require vocabulary additions.  There is a lot of good semantic structure in WordNet, but it is sketchy in the relations, and many synsets are not homogenous unique concepts, and other different  synsets may represent indistinguishable concepts (i.e. are essentially synonymous, except in some cases for part-of-speech).  I am creating mappings to WordNet to allow mapping and perhaps reuse of much work already done using WordNet in the Natural Language community, but do not believe WN itself is useful as is for reasoning.  (It was not originally created for that purpose).  It just happens to be the best free comprehensive semantic network with which much text has already been tagged.

[PC} >>   The great virtue of using an interlingua ontology and translations to and from, for interoperability is that this allows local users of databases or ontology-based applications to use their own terminology and procedures freely, and only translate what needs to be communicated.  So that in any user group, no matter how large, only one person needs to be bilingual in both the local terminology and the common foundation ontology.

[AW] > That is also the goal of ISO 15926 and the iRING tools.  Unfortunately, we then get into debates over whose upper ontology is more useful.

    Yes, and that depends on the use.  I like Cyc, but much of the essential structure of the top level is still proprietary, and I need one available for free public use.  In any case, none of the existing upper ontologies is designed to have a primitives-based conceptual defining vocabulary, which is the tactic that I think is optimal for interoperability.   In COSMO I use as much of OpenCyc and SUMO as I can , and add what else seems needed for the purpose.   Other ontologies have little not already in OpenCyc and SUMO, but I use  a few concepts from some other ontologies as well.   At some point, I will want to create mappings to the upper levels of the OBO group – I know where the BFO concepts belong in COSMO, but have not created a comprehensive formal mapping yet.

[PC] >>    This may seem somewhat large to be “the most easy to learn and use”, but one needs to realize that the function of being able to describe any concept one wants to use in an application requires a vocabulary that has the full range of the basic vocabulary of a human language.

[AW]  > Don't we essentially come back to natural language then?

      At the earliest (e.g. current) stage, agreement on the meanings of the entities in the ontology will need careful documentation (I use English) to minimize the chances of ambiguity and misunderstanding between independent users.  Ultimately (long term goal) the meanings will be grounded in perception and action, which may need some robotic functionality.   Some grounding in reality already is available by access to the web, which can be used to verify or negate inferences that are uncertain, if some language understanding is part of the system.  But I am particularly intrigued by the possibility of “grounding” the meanings with virtual reality, so that the computer can present a virtual reality scenario to explain its interpretation of texts.  A VR interpretation verified by a person may substitute for actual robotic sensors and effectors  to give the computer very good approximations to human understanding.

But, no doubt, there will be some effort necessary to create the logical specifications.  From what I have seen, the effort needed will be a lot less than already being expended to achieve less useful results, as far as automated interpretation of communications is concerned.

 Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA Inc.

cassidy@xxxxxxxxx