Re: [ontology-summit] First Model Bench Challenge

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 08:44:19 -0400
Hi All,

Looks like a good real world test example.

Does anyone have a story about how the ontology could or would be used once completed?

For example, could it be used computationally in preparing EuroGov statistical reports, or would it just be guidance for people programming that task to read and understand while they write in Java and such?

                   Thanks,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:04 AM, doug foxvog <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, May 1, 2012 00:16, Cory Casanave wrote:
> I would agree - there are 2 concepts under the label "Marriage", a
> situation and an event. The intent of the example in the web page is the
> situation but you may well also represent the event for extra credit!

In OpenCyc:

(isa WeddingEvent-Generic AccomplishmentType)
(genls WeddingEvent-Generic SocialEvent)
(genls WeddingEvent-Generic ActingInConcert)
(comment WeddingEvent-Generic "The class of all events associated with
marriage. Subsets include WeddingCeremony and WeddingReception.")

(isa WeddingCeremony AccomplishmentType)
(genls WeddingCeremony Ceremony)
(genls WeddingCeremony WeddingEvent-Generic )
(genls WeddingCeremony MakingAnAgreement)
(genls WeddingCeremony PairingObjects)
(comment WeddingCeremony "This is the collection of actual wedding
ceremonies. Use WeddingReception for the party afterwards and
WeddingEvent-Entire for the whole shebang.")

(isa WeddingEvent-Entire AccomplishmentType)
(genls WeddingEvent-Entire WeddingEvent-Generic)
(comment WeddingEvent-Entire "A subcollection of SocialOccurrence. Each
instance of WeddingEvent-Entire is a complex event, usually discontinuous
in time, consisting of all of the applicable "parts" of the event of
getting married. These various parts will be subEvents of the
WeddingEvent-Entire. They minimally include a WeddingCeremony, and
(depending on the culture, the wishes of the betrothed, etc.) might also
include a WeddingReception and perhaps other social events (for one or
both partners and their friends and family) before or after the actual
ceremony.")
(subEventTypes WeddingEvent-Entire WeddingCeremony)
(superEventTypes WeddingCeremony WeddingEvent-Entire)

(isa Eloping AccomplishmentType)
(genls Eloping WeddingEvent-Entire)
(comment Eloping "The collection of marriages performed in secret without
the presence (and often without the permission) of the participants'
parents.")

(isa WeddingReception  FirstOrderCollection)
(genls WeddingReception  WeddingEvent-Generic)
(genls WeddingReception  ReceptionParty)
(genls WeddingReception  HostedSocialGathering)
(superEventTypes WeddingReception WeddingEvent-Entire)
(comment WeddingReception  "The collection of all wedding receptions. A
type of ReceptionParty, WeddingEvent-Generic, and HostedSocialGathering.")

-- doug