Re: [ontology-summit] First Model Bench Challenge

To: "Ontology Summit 2012 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:17:10 -0400
On Thu, May 3, 2012 14:45, Jack Ring wrote:
> The issue is: what does marriage signify? Government? Church? Mutual
> commitment? What?    (01)

The answer is contextual.   Two ways of dealing with it are defining the
class Marriage (meaning the state) at a general level, with very general
properties and rules, and then defining different contexts -- those of
specific
governments, religious bodies, cultures, etc. -- and more specific properties
in the various contexts.  The second way would be to define the very
general term as (say) Marriage-Generic, and define many specializations
(RomanCatholicPost13thCenturyMarriage, MormonMarriagePre1890,
ArgentineMarriagePostJuly2010, ...) with their own properties.  A third
method would be to mix these two: defining a more limited set of
subclasses of marriage and using contexts and/or rules to define which
are valid when and to whom.    (02)

I ran into an interesting spin on marriage when i travelled in the Ugandan
jungle in 1996.  We spent some time with a pigmy who explained to us
that he had only one wife because that the Catholic Church only allowed
its priests (he was one) to have a single wife.  I knew that the Russian
Catholic Church allowed its priests to marry (even though they are under
the same pope as the Roman Catholic Church), but did not suspect that
whatever Catholic Church operated in Uganda might have similar rules.    (03)

As for common-law marriages, not every jurisdiction that recognizes
one necessarily sees a need to define when it started.  Of course, some
do -- and as Amanda has outlined, different jurisdictions have different
rules.    (04)

-- doug foxvog    (05)