Re: [ontology-summit] Summit Website

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:39:55 -0400
There is attribution on the site.
Is there a better wording that would satisfy most contributors?    (01)

The share-alike provision may be more difficult to deal with.    (02)

It appears that appearance on the US government  site puts material into
the public domain in a license that is more generous than (cc by-sa 3.0).
It appears that this is the reason that the US government wants a
written release from the owner.
The government does not want to have to deal with various rights regimes
and their approach is to deal with it at the source.    (03)

Who can give this release?
Would that person give the US government the right to publish material
from the forum?    (04)

Once it is on the US site, the IP is really in the public domain.
Would all of the contributors have to agree to the change of IP rights?
The contributors have only agreed to a (cc by-sa 3.0) distribution at
this point.    (05)

It looks like Brand should take this material down until this written
permission is obtained.    (06)

If permission can not be given and the material is not removed within a
few days, I would think that a written request should be sent to the
government agency sponsoring the web site, outlining the fact that
permission was not given to have the content posted.    (07)

I am not a lawyer.  This is just my take on the factual issues at stake.    (08)

Lets keep the forum discussion at a factual level without personal
characterizations or nastiness.    (09)

Ron    (010)

Ron Wheeler
President