Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2011: Communique draft review sess

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 17:14:25 -0400
Dear Matthew, John B, and Mike B,    (01)

Thanks for the suggestions.  The critical point is to find a "hook"
that the audience will appreciate.  When I respond to some email note,
I have a clear idea of the audience (the author + other people on this
list).  I look for the most quotable point by the author, and use that
as the starting point for the response.    (02)

For example,    (03)

MW
> Ontology is like the air we breathe. In information systems it is
> all around us, but we often do not notice it. However, if there
> are problems with it can choke us.    (04)

That's a good metaphor.  But somebody who doesn't already know how
ontology connects to IT wouldn't be able to make the connections.
And some hard-headed business execs might get more turned off
than inspired by the tone.    (05)

JB
> I particularly liked the idea
> of ontologies being a transformative technology, making
> the real difference in moving us from old-style
> approximations à la  semantic web to new semantic
> enriched technologies....    (06)

I agree that could be the basis for a good hook.    (07)

> I'm sure there is a great hook in there somewhere
> trying to get out!    (08)

Yes.    (09)

MB
> Or to put this another way, your systems all have ontologies
> anyway, but how are you managing these? And did you know that
> with formal management of ontologies comes a wealth of new
> opportunities for what you can do with your information assets?    (010)

This is close to the same points that Matthew and John were making,
but with simpler and more direct terminology.  Something along
these lines would make a good opening.    (011)

John S    (012)