Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2011: Communique draft review sess

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:43:28 -0700
I don't know where anyone got the idea that IBM achieved its results "by integrating ontologies with multiple parallel reasoning engines.". What is true is that they integrates multiple parallel reasoning engines of all kinds.  I talked to someone who worked on the project about the role of ontologies.   This is my understanding:

  1. The main role was in getting the types of things correct. For that, something like a glorified Wordnet would have been just fine.
  2. This is not an exciting use case for ontology.
  3. My impression is that ontology did not play a critical role in the success of Watson.
Therefore, it is not a good use case for us to highlight.

Michael