Re: [ontology-summit] Ontologies Save LIves

To: Frank van Harmelen <frank.van.harmelen@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:50:10 -0700
Thanks Frank.  Let me respond to one comment.

> Linked Data is one thing, but it often works fine w/o ontologies

This is the (IMHO wrong) point of view now fashionable in LOD circles.
Try to integrate two datasets without looking at their schema,
or try to use a dataset you didn't build yourself, without looking at the schema....

I agree. What I meant to say it LOD is widely used w/o any ontologies.  They probably "should" be using them.  However, it is not up to us to tell them what is good for them, we need to help them see it for themselves.  If they can't see it, then from their perspective, things are "working just fine".   I don't have a killer argument that will make say 80% of the LODers see the value.  It amazes me that they are not being burnt by the examples you suggest above  [which should be a killer argument].

Michael