Re: [ontology-summit] A Powerpoint communique?

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:43:19 -0500
Bart,    (01)

Thanks for the pointer.  I have no doubt that these are useful tools.
But as I have been saying, they are niche tools that aren't bringing
ontologies into mainstream IT.    (02)

At best, they are arguments for standard terminologies, which have
been essential for science, engineering, and law since long before
computers were invented.    (03)

BG
> There's a "management" oriented article that just came out on
> computerworld.com which talks about the benefits of semantic
> technologies and provides use cases.
>
> http://bit.ly/gOe145    (04)

The concluding paragraph quotes author Phil Simon:    (05)

ComputerWorld
> "When I mention Semantic Web in tech circles, nine out of 10 don't
> know what the hell I'm talking about," Next Wave author Simon notes.
> "But do I believe in its power, and that it will be a game changer
> down the road?  Absolutely."    (06)

Just look at the dates:  1994 was when Tim B-L proposed the term,
and 2001 was the year when a large Semantic Web conference was held
at Stanford.  Also in 2001, the defining article about the SW was
published in the _Scientific American_.    (07)

Depending on which date you choose, the SW is either 10 or 17 years old.
Compare that to the WWW.  When it was 5 years old, every techie had
heard of it.  When it was 10 years old, every techie had his or her
own web site.  But today, 9 out of 10 haven't heard of the SW.    (08)

ComputerWorld
> One such effort is the GoodRelations e-commerce semantic vocabulary.
> As of now, only a handful of companies, including BestBuy.com and
> Overstock.com, have signed up for it. Google recently announced
> that it also supports the vocabulary...    (09)

I congratulate Martin Hepp for reaching that level of penetration.
But note that the ComputerWorld author confused it with "vocabulary".
I'm sure that's how BestBuy, Overstock, and Google are using it
-- as *terminology* not ontology.    (010)