Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:16:22 -0500
Steve and Mills,    (01)

SR
> I think this presentation gets very close to the mark on the kind of message
> I believe we're striving for    (02)

http://rmc-ca.academia.edu/BradleyShoebottom/Papers/358330/Getting_Started_with_Semantics_in_the_Enterprise    (03)

MD
> I like this presentation with the following observation that the emphasis
> here is more on the technology aspects of semantics and ontologies for
> practitioners, rather than on understanding the applications, benefits,
> costs, risks, and returns for enterprises, communities, and individuals.    (04)

Yes.  It is pushing RDF, which is not ontology.  RDF is a notation that
some people use in conjunction with ontology.  But RDF is not a widely
used notation in mainstream IT.    (05)

In Ontolog Forum, Ian Bailey suggested the following article:    (06)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/22/southampton_linked_data_semantic_web/print.html    (07)

That article makes the following point:    (08)

> However, finding wider enthusiasm expressed in Southampton for
> Sir Tim Berners-Lee's relatively newborn and somewhat niche software
> modeling system [2] remains a big challenge.    (09)

If we're going to convince a wider audience to use ontology, we have
to convince them that it can be used to enhance the technology that
they are currently using.    (010)

RDF is still niche software.  And if we send a message that ontologies
are only useful in conjunction with that niche, we'll never get them
into the mainstream.    (011)