Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:40:01 -0800
Agreed.

One problem I am working on is the notion of better Customer Experience Management (CEM) from an enterprise architecture perspective.  Right now, there are great numbers of channels that a customer can use to communicate with an enterprise.  Throw in social media like Facebook and Twitter and there becomes a monumental problem in trying to be able to reconcile a customer’s history during a process.  For example, knowing the customer has been on hold with the call center for 40 minutes while also trying to use your website forms or online chat for help is very useful for the person who answers that customer call.  Being able to further reconcile that with the customer’s history, any prior complaints, etc would be really optimal to deliver better experiences for customers.  Ontology work will play a big role in the ability to put a trail of breadcrumbs into context for the enterprise.

Adobe is focusing on mapping a concept of a CEM platform into practice.  Our recent acquisition of Day Software (and by inclusion Dr. Roy Fielding!) has technically enabled a lot of the plumbing for such systems however the role of ontology work will be pivotal (these are my own words, not Adobe’s).

Exciting times we live in.

Duane

On 3/8/11 8:08 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/8/2011 4:12 PM, Nancy Wiegand wrote:
> There is a Protege ontology presentation for download at:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101.html

That is a well written introduction for somebody who wants to know what
an ontology is and how to create it.  But it doesn't say anything about
how an ontology is used in any practical application.

If we want to sell the idea of ontology to IT managers, we have to show
them how ontologies can be connected to *their* software in order to
solve *their* problems.

John

---
Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Architecture - http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/