Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:26:17 -0800
I have a slide deck that has been evolving for many years. I just put the current incarnation on Slideshare Semantic Web: Down to Business.

It is based on a talk I gave at the Taxonomy Bootcamp November 2010 called: "Semantic Web: Down to Business". I was asked to talk about the semantic web, but it could equally be titled: "Ontologies and Semantic Technology: Down to Business" since it has little to do with the semantic web per se.

I introduce the idea of semantic technology, give examples of how to express meaning, and also some industrial applications.

Michael

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/8/2011 4:12 PM, Nancy Wiegand wrote:
> There is a Protege ontology presentation for download at:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101.html

That is a well written introduction for somebody who wants to know what
an ontology is and how to create it.  But it doesn't say anything about
how an ontology is used in any practical application.

If we want to sell the idea of ontology to IT managers, we have to show
them how ontologies can be connected to *their* software in order to
solve *their* problems.

John

--
Michael Uschold, PhD
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts