Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 21:07:19 -0500
Bart,    (01)

What I was trying to say is that the tools for ontologies are not
integrated with mainstream software.    (02)

Furthermore, OWL is totally isolated from Cyc, SUMO, and other
AI technology.  LISP is a compact, efficient, and readable notation
for representing triples.  JSON is another compact and readable
notation that is familiar to every web developer.  But the Semantic
Webbers ignored both of them.  They chose the most inefficient and
unreadable notation ever inflicted on poor innocent programmers.    (03)

JFS
> But no ontology today will help anybody "build and maintain an
> application quickly."    (04)

BG
> My apologies if I didn't explain myself. I'm not proposing an ontology
> to develop tools, but instead tools that allow developers to work WITH
> ontologies.    (05)

That's exactly how I interpreted what you were saying.  Unfortunately,
no ontology tools are designed for mainstream software developers.    (06)

BG
> Open Data is an opportunity to promote semantics as well. The OpenData
> repositories, free and pay-per-use, are growing.    (07)

Yes.  But they're not using OWL or any other ontology tools.    (08)

BG
> Develop/promote the tools that allow them to work with semantics in
> one shape or another. Whether it's  OWL, RDF, etc, these can be the
> steppingstones to the acceptance of ontologies like SUMO and Cyc.    (09)

When the Semantic Web was getting started in 1998, I was very hopeful
that they would build a bridge between AI and mainstream software.
But the Semantic Webbers ignored both.    (010)

That's the theme of the following presentation, in which I was
emphasizing the need for better integration:    (011)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/iss.pdf
    Integrating Semantic Systems    (012)

Please look at slides 21 to 23 for a brief summary of the way
that the Semantic Web missed a great opportunity.  Just look at
Google -- they're the biggest web company on the planet, but
they don't use the Semantic Web.  They use JSON instead of RDF.    (013)

Look at IBM Watson.  IBM didn't use RDF or OWL.  To represent
their ontology and knowledge representation, they use UIMA,
which has a more compact representation than RDF or OWL.    (014)

Until the Semantic Webbers wake up to reality, I have no
hope for them.    (015)