Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:37:40 -0800
John Sowa said:

Right.  But no ontology today will help anybody "build and maintain an application quickly."
--

English is a bit too ambiguos for me to know just what you mean here :-) .  I disagree with the most obvious literal interpretation that came to mind.

Using an ontology as part of a software development strategy and architecture DEFINITELY CAN make it easier, faster and cheaper to build and maintain systems. Agility and flexibility are the most often quoted benefits from real people using semantic technology for real financial gain. Agile and flexible means you can build things more quickly.  Agility and flexibily is in part increased because the systems have reduced complexity and are easier to maintain.

Michael