Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter R. Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:13:52 -0500

Actually it was supposed to be an Orbiter and not a rover J  (http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Metrication/mystery_of_orbiter_crash_solved.htm) definitely a case for data quality if not an ontology

Peter

From: ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael F Uschold
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 1:53 PM
To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion
Subject: Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A Semantic Evangelist's ToolKit

Yes, I prefer emphasizing enhanced clarity over removing ambiguity (which is it owl:sameAs to :-)

One way to make an effective case about this benefit is to show real world examples where lack of clarity causes problems (like losing a mars rover over units of measure). Then to show how the discipline of building an ontology can add clarity.

Michael

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/3/2011 7:54 PM, Michael F Uschold wrote:
> I think there is emerging agreement that we need to focus less on
> abstract principles and more on concrete examples that MADE MONEY and
> for the technology folk, WHY the money was made.

That is an idea everybody can understand.  I like it.

And I had a further thought about why I object to describing
the purpose of an ontology as "eliminating ambiguity":  that
is a negative way of talking.

In a positive sense:  The primary purpose of an ontology is to make
the structure of the subject matter clear.  You don't need a formal
notation to be clear.  You can be clear in ordinary English.

But I admit that a formal notation is useful because it
makes it impossible to be vague, ambiguous, or imprecise.
But what it says so precisely might not be what the author
intended.

In any case, I would stress the idea of *clarity*.

That is a positive virtue that improves communication and
understanding among the humans *and* the machines.

Next, emphasize (a) how improved communication makes money
and (b) how poor communication loses money.

John

--
Michael Uschold, PhD
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts

   LinkedIn: http://tr.im/limfu
   Skype, Twitter: UscholdM