Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Tim Wilson <twilson92@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:15:21 -0500
Michael,

I, for one, would like to hear this talk.  Are you thinking about the Ontolog Summit?

Tim

On 3/3/2011 2:50 PM, Michael F Uschold wrote:

This was an idea I had for a talk. If it is helpful in any way, have at it! The idea is to help avoid those blank stares you get when you try to explain the value of semantic technology to people who count.

Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A Semantic Evangelist's ToolKit

Abstract:

We have now reached the point where substantial numbers of people understand the value of semantic technology and are actively working to incorporate it in their companies.  Unfortunately, too often, the mere mention of the words “semantic” or “ontology” draws blank stares, when talking to people holding the purse strings.  Having a simple and effective way to explain the business value is a necessary pre-requisite for semantic technology to go mainstream.

The talk is targeted at people who want to explain the business value of semantic technology; it will also benefit those who want to better understand it.

We start with the word “semantic” and what kinds of problems this causes. In the context of semantic technology, the core idea is removing ambiguity. Unfortunately, and ironically, the term “semantic” is itself highly ambiguous! We give a simple example of how augmenting simple data with semantic metadata can add value.  We discuss some of the key general benefits of semantic technology, and how they work together. For example, removing ambiguity in software development makes maintenance easier. This in turn makes it possible to be more agile.  We emphasize the importance of giving actual case studies that illustrate the benefits in a commercial setting – tailored to the background and interests of the audience.  It is important to be able to explain things from many different points of view.

--
Michael Uschold, PhD
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts

_________________________________________________________________ Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/ Subscribe/Config: http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontology-summit/ Unsubscribe: mailto:ontology-summit-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Community Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2011/ Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2011 Community Portal: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/

--
Timothy C. Wilson

"Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.  For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
2 Peter 1: 5-8