Re: [ontology-summit] [strategy] Blank Stares and Semantic Technology: A

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:24:09 -0800
Thank you!

On 3/8/11 1:12 PM, "Nancy Wiegand" <wiegand@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is a Protege ontology presentation for download at:
http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101.html

 >I had a 6 hour conversation on the topic of ontology work and its’
importance last night with a Vice-Chief of NORAD’s Maritime Defense
wing.   It is extremely important when talking to non-technical
audiences to help them understand the main concepts within the Ontology
field in terms they can relate to.  A lot of time, abstract thinking is
not necessarily a strong suite of someone who works in tactical field
positions.  Nevertheless, with practice comes knowledge and being able
to quickly judge your audience and adjust accordingly is not confined to
the realm of presenting ontology work.  The same exists with
Computational Intelligence, swarm grammars, negation operators and a
plethora of other topics.

Adam Pease and John Sowa both have great slide decks that I have used
parts of on occasion that IMO reduce a lot of FUD.  Is anyone aware of
an Ontology 101 slide deck linked from this forum?  I have to send them
some information and am looking for a good deck or paper to to introduce
the topic gently.

Duane

---
Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Architecture - http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/