Re: [ontology-summit] A Powerpoint communique?

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:00:28 -0500
Mike, Matthew, Jack, and Todd,    (01)

Those are good points:    (02)

MFU
> It occurred to me that our target audience (business people who can make
> decisions) may be more likely to see a Powerpoint pitch than wade
> through 4-6 pages of text.    (03)

Yes, but...    (04)

MW
> It seems to me that the target audience is more those that will have
> to make the case, rather than those that the case is made to.    (05)

I agree.  Decision makers won't attend the Ontology Summit or read
a communique.  Their staff people might.  That's a good reason for
giving them slides that they can show to their boss.    (06)

JR
> Some prospects are left brain dominant and some are right brain dominant.
> All like to be in control.  This means that they will respond most
> favorably to a visual with a graphic on one half and 40 words or less
> on the other half and with choices How, When, What, Who, and How Much?
> ... The How Much is Never in Cost units but always in ROI units.    (07)

I agree.    (08)

MFU
> For me, I personally prefer to read a good paper for a topic that
> interests me. Nevertheless,  it takes less than a minute to scan through
> a slide deck and get enough of the gist to decide to read more carefully.    (09)

I agree, but I'd emphasize the phrase "good paper".  For most mediocre
papers, I'd rather flip through the slides than wade through the text.    (010)

TS
> Having created the communique, PowerPoint slides could then be created.    (011)

Slides are much easier to create than a well-written communique.    (012)

I seriously doubt that we could write a "good paper" that summarizes
the Ontology Summit.  Trying to coordinate the diverse points of
view and synthesize them into a coherent, smoothly flowing text that
accurately presents all the issues would be extremely difficult.    (013)

Slides would (a) be easier to compile, (b) more accurately portray
the diversity, and (c) contain a URL for each slide that points
to a "good paper" or other presentation for further information.    (014)