Re: [ontology-summit] Ontolog IPR issues

To: Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:46:14 -0500

Chris, should I send this or not?

-Pat

---------------

At 6:03 AM -0400 5/7/08, paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Pat H, I am not confusing academic good conduct - scientific domain is
FULL of frauds (varying degrees) and scientists claiming for
attribution for work developed by their juniors, fellows and peers
This is standard practice. Includes notable nobel prizes.
There is a full history, and such misappropriation of credit is
unfortunately just another human tragedy. There is very little tha we
can do about that

All this has nothing to do with my point.

When publishing  work however, especially in a public forum, the
author can kick ass (or at least try to), on IPR ground, in a public
court of law

Well, no doubt they can try to.  They would not succeed; but of course that is not the point. The point is to get one's own way by making vague threats. Such behavior often works, but it risks acquiring a reputation as a troublemaker who should be avoided and shunned. And to do so without any justification, in clear contravention of the published terms of the said forum, after having made no substantial contributions to the technical work of said forum, with regard to a terminology and idea which pre-date anything you have written, and which have been widely and publicly discussed for several years throughout a community of thousands of professionals; to do so under these circumstances, I repeat, is to risk being thought of, and treated, as someone who is both childishly unable to act in a professional manner and also so hopelessly under-informed about the state of the art that their opinions are not worth taking the trouble to consult in any case.

All this talk of legal action and IPR law and so on is obviously mere bluster. You have no more knowledge of IPR law than you have of ontologies, I suspect. You manage to get by in some professional venues in spite of your almost complete technical ignorance by a combination of a confident demeanor (which is often read by others as evidence of actual knowledge) and the willingness to make vague threats and become troublesome when things do not go according to plan. You act like a manager, without having either the authority or the competence to actually manage. You have a collection of strategies for avoiding any task which might reveal your fundamental incompetence. It is a style which I recognize, having met it on a number of occasions. It is fundamentally a form of psychological bullying: small girls often use a simple version of it to get their own way. It does not work through email nearly as well as it does face-to-face, however; and it does not work for very long in any academic setting. And it does not work on me. Your own lack of technical knowledge is so absolute as to be almost palpable, and you have exhibited it now so many times on this forum that it has ceased to be surprising, or even amusing; it is now merely tedious. Nobody has stolen anything from you because you have no intellectual property to steal. You have given the forum nothing worth plagiarizing. You are intellectually bankrupt.

You also, by the way, write atrocious English.

Pat Hayes

IHMC               (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.       (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                 (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                     (850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections